Monday, March 16, 2009

"Singapore to name orchid after Burmese junta leader"

You just can't make this stuff up.

See here too if you like your news local.

And if it's lost on anyone why we shouldn't be bestowing the privilege of orchid-naming on a much reviled dictator, despite him being a visiting dignitary and it being tradition, imagine how slighted every other dignitary who had an orchid named after them would feel now that they have something in common with Thein Sein. I don't know about you, but if I were Princess Diana, I would be turning in my grave right about now.

And if I were working at Nparks, particularly the person presenting the orchid to said dictator, it would be a sad sad day indeed.

Aside, now that the news of Thein Sein's visit is starting to get widely noted in the non-mainstream media, I wonder whether our local media will start to at least acknowledge the state visit by Thein Sein to Singapore, just to put their own spin on it. It should happen tomorrow or in the next few days, if the 2-day hypothesis holds. 

No comments: